Google

Thursday, May 1, 2008

MySpace Alert



Not sure if anybody else has received this email message about MySpace Pet game but I thought I would share it. I have absolutely no idea if this is a REAL threat or a rumor but if there is any truth to it, I would feel much better if I passed the information along, just in case. I guess after you read it, you can decide what you believe or care to do about it. Below is a copy of the email I received bearing the news about the "pet game" on MySpace.

HERE'S A NEW WAY TO LOSE YOUR FRIENDS!!!


MySpace has a new game in it's Applications called "Own Your Friends" (aka: The PET Game)
Even though the game itself can only be accessed by MySpace users, individuals can "purchase"
ANYONE from ANY Social Network. Even people that you may have deleted & blocked can BUY
you. It gets BETTER, folks...Stay on point with me here...

The "players' send notifications that you have been BOUGHT by them through your inbox, comments or
Bulletin, the notification reads " I just bought you as a PET, click link to see how much I THINK YOU'RE WORTH. Ok. If you're a NORMAL person, this will offend you...so CLICK!!! You have just committed hard
drive suicide. There is a virus embedded in the link that you just clicked & in a New York minute, your hard drive is useless.

WHAT TO DO?

So far, the only defense users at MySpace have is to delete & block the offenders. This is taken
a step further by deleting every message, bulletin & comment the offender has ever sent. Better to be
safe than sorry. This Application has been reported & Tom has been notified several times about the
dangers of this game but there has been no action taken on his part as of yet. A friend of mine over there
is drafting a Petition to do away with it, so we'll see how that goes. In the meantime, keep an eye out
for the messages, comments & bulletins & delete them, delete & block the people playing the game &
PRAY...

I have lost three friends this week because they were involved in The PET Game, I thought I would be upset about this, but then, the EVOLVED side of me spoke up. " If these people were really your "friends" why would they even entertain the notion of "buying" you & why would they try to spread a
fatal virus on your page?"

Just wanted to give everyone the heads up because I don't want to lose any more friends & I wouldn't
want to see anyone having to go through replacing their hard drive over a STUPID, ILL-CONCEIVED game.

Take Care & Be Careful!



I also visited Myspace and all the posts listed under "I JUST BOUGHT YOU AS MY PET" is NOT SPAM or a Virus!!! In a nutshell, most people feel, it's another way for people to spam you and another annoyance. Some people do feel there is an issue with the application and should be avoided. People have experienced issues with their MySpace after installing the application. It's like any application you decide to run, there are risks involved and you have to decide whether or not you are willing to take the risks.

I personally have no interest in "owning" anyone. I have my hands full already. A partner, five children, a grandson, 1 dog, 2 cats, 3 kittens, 2 hamsters, 2 robo hamsters, an aquarium full of fish and one with turtles, a bird and the stray cats, the neighbor's kids, etc.

If you "own" a pet or running the "Pet Game on your MySpace, I would love to hear your opinion and if not I would love to hear your views of the whole concept.

8 comments:

durano lawayan a.k.a. brad spit said...

Hi Susan,

I think it is a vicious game. The idea of being bought does not appeal to me at all.

Friends spreading a fatal virus on my page causing me to replace my hard drive plus the inconvenience? Where I come from, friends don't do that to friends. They're not friends, they're fiends. :-) --Durano, done!

Mommy Holiday said...

It's not a virus. I have had it on my page for nearly two weeks and have had no issues with my computer at all. My page runs slightly slower, but that's about it. Almost all of my friends have the application also and they haven't had any issues either.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it as it's just a game sort of like a popularity contest. Is it childish and high schoolish? Yes. In the same regard it's also fun. People play dress up in their sex lives, board games, and computer games. People also pretend to be something they aren't all the time in chat rooms... this is really no different. It's not about being a slave and master. It's just a game.

I think people who take it so seriously should lighten up a bit. After all, it's just Myspace...not real life. That's just my humble opinion though.

Jennifer said...

thank you for the news...So, it is better to stay away from this. What TOM is doing.... no, this is bad..

Joe said...

I've had this for over a week now ... no problems ... just some fun ... :o) ... Joe

ChaCha Fance said...

Wow thanks for the tip b/c I have gotten the messages but I never clicked b/c I thought it was stupid!! =(

thebetterof2evils said...

It's not a virus. Myspace would be sued by millions if they intentionally gave out viruses.

Anonymous said...

well I personally don't like this application or idea - some take the internet and the contacts they make very seriously, they meet up outside of the cyberworld and make friends, or business contacts - you can invite others to your social events, business events and more, that's part of networking online - promoting a buy someone as a pet makes you think of human slavery - I suppose the person who did it thought well if we buy and sell animals then why not humans, I wouldn't go anywhere with this app from myspace, and be very careful about using it...your blog is great by the way, so much info, i'll be bookmarking it..check out my profile here at blogger to find my blogs..

Master said...

thanks for all Make money easy ways now