Google

Friday, December 7, 2007

How Important is Your User Id and Avatar?

I thought this would be an interesting topic because I get a little bit of attention with my user id! I selected my user id name about six years ago when I was playing Yahoo Canasta. I felt the name was appropriate because it was a little bit intimidating to my opponents. If they weren't intimidated, they were certainly amused with my trouble4u2avoid alias.

A few people have commented on my trouble4u2avoid alias. They felt it didn't seem like an appropriate name to promote a business online. As a matter of fact, they felt it was a good way to steer away people. I guess I could agree on some level. However, I feel my user id is for my social networking communities and my paid to reads! Social networking is about having fun and paid to reads are lonely! Who cares what my name is there? Besides, who's to say trouble isn't fun from time to time? Especially the kind you have to avoid!

I enjoy the random quips on get on occasion. My all time favorite was I AVOID anything but trouble. I found it to be very amusing! Like I said social networking isn't just a MONEY thing for me. I social network for fun. Making money is an added perk!

Yes, I am making money in social working! Yes, I am having fun! Yes, I am promoting some money making opportunities. No, I'm not going to change my trouble4u2avoid alias. I can't! LOL I am having too much fun!

The point I'm trying to make is if you are looking to promote a business on a more professionally level, you may want to try selecting an alias to represent your business or business interests. I have seen some really cool business user ids that are catchy and very professional. I have also seen people who simply user their first and last names. I guess it all boils down to what you feel comfortable using.

Another thought to ponder is your avatar. I used to use anime avatars. There are some many cool ones and I thought "WOW" one for every social networking community. I would even change them on a regular basis. Well, I no longer do that. I stopped because it was confusing people. Some people actually complained. That's no way to build friendships.

My suggestion would be to use a real photo of yourself and use it in every social networking community you join. I can tell you I have found a lot of my friends from one network in another because I saw their dazzling smile! Or if you don't want to share your own self portrait, at least use the same avatar everywhere so you can be found.

Maybe if you are computer savvy unlike me, you can design your own avatar/logo. Don't pick an avatar you see everywhere. Try to find something unique, eye catching and memorable.

The importance of being recognized is so you can build a strong network of friends. There will be plenty of people you cross paths with but building a strong alliance with other members will increase your traffic, open you up to new opportunities and build long lasting friendships.

Your user ID and your avatar are very important if you are planning to network on a professionally level. I strongly recommend before you go out there and start joining a ton of social networks make sure you have a photograph and a user id you really like and can use for a long time.

Happy networking! PS...I'm really no trouble at all!

1 comments:

ArahMan7 said...

I'm sorry that I didn't recognized you at first. Now I know, trouble4u2avoid = Susan Parr.

Anyway, great post as usual. I've been using my photo since I started blogging. I thought of establishing my brand with my photo so that whenever people see my photo, they will it's ArahMan7 a real blood and sweat person!

Greetings and lotta loves from Malaysia.